Monday, April 27, 2015

Branes, Strings, and M-Theory


My post for the Threads challenge is even later than Martha's - but here it is, finally!

My first piece in my subject - Magic and Science - is called "Branes, Strings and M-Theory", and it is supposed to be a science subject.  However, anything in the quantum world is so difficult to understand, and to prove - not only by lay people but even by scientists - that it sounds like magic!

Well, anything based on mathematical equations is like magic to me!



Definitions (mostly from Wikipedia):

Branes (or membranes) – Branes are dynamical objects which can propagate through spacetime according to the rules of quantum mechanics. They have mass and can have other attributes such as charge.

Strings – In physics, string theory is a theoretical framework in which the point-like particles of particle physics are replaced by one-dimensional objects called strings.

M-Theory - M-theory is a theory in physics that unifies all consistent versions of superstring theory.  Some scientists believe it is the much sought-after ‘theory of everything” – but much remains to be proved. It is so complicated that I cannot explain it properly, but one characteristic that interests me is that the theory requires not three or four dimensions, (three of space plus one of time) - as we are used to in our world - but 10 or 11 dimensions; and the ones we cannot perceive, are folded small and hidden.




In my quilt, I represent branes with shapes, strings with lines, and M-Theory with my sewing machine's in-built embroidery patterns. I have never used them before in a quilt - I only ever played with them in samples, when trying a new machine - I never knew what to do with them.

It may seem an easy thing to do - but I assure you it is not.  To get the pattern functioning properly while stitching a big quilt is not so simple!  I eventually developed a way of holding the quilt aloft, so the pattern didn't get bunched up (don't ask me how I know it happens!).




The quilt is 48” high by 29 1/2” wide.  Improvisationally pieced, mostly free-machine quilted, incorporating lines of automatic sewing machine patterns.  It did take me an inordinately long time to make!




3 comments:

  1. This is just wonderful, Alicia! I love the colors and the stitching works perfectly. I'm still trying to wrap my head around small dimensions folding on themselves, but I appreciate the magic and wonder of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic composition - it does look like magic to me. :) The play between the bold solid colors and the repetitive pattern of the embroidery is really interesting. I got a distinct "mathematical" impression from this design but I admit I have no understanding of the actual theories behind it. Nicely done, Alicia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the magic power in your work, Alicia, though the theories are still very confusing to me. They are just like magic!

    ReplyDelete