For this design, I used a combination of black and white patterned fabrics, as well as a hand-dyed batik for the background and parts of the eyes. I tried to utilize the black and white prints in a way that came across as light, medium and dark values.
When I originally proposed this challenge, I had intended to use purple as my one color. But then I saw Albert's black and white coat and warm brown eyes and my whole idea changed.
I don't like to post an "unfinished" work on the V9 blog, but I think there is more to do on this one. I'm really enjoying the way the patterns are playing together.
Finished size 24"W x 40"H