Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Accepting Changes


by Lin Hsin-Chen

I love Betty’s suggestion of using unconventional materials. It’s something I'm always trying to do, but I didn’t have enough courage to take the challenge. I look forward to taking this opportunity to step out of my comfort zone.

©The Kyoto Costume Institute, photo by Toru Kogure
Stomacher, 1760s - bouillonné silk satin, chenille threads
I am skilled in creating with commercial cottons. I like the patterns and colors on them, and I love to make them become lovely works by sewing.

©The Kyoto Costume Institute, photo by Toru Kogure
Round gown - taffeta, sequins, tassel ornamentation

During my stay in Portland for SAQA conference this year, I visited a museum. There was an exhibition about costume of the 18th and 19th century. The materials and techniques caught my eye. I look forward to changing my use of materials in this challenge.

©The Kyoto Costume Institute, photo by Toru Kogure
Petticoat, early 18th century - silk taffeta ribbons, silk satin

No comments:

Post a Comment