Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Scavenger

I remember the first time I saw an art quilt: I was inspired.

I remember the first time I was asked to join an art quilt group: I was honored.

I remember the first time I attended a "stash swap" with art quilters: I was shocked.

Art Quilters are scavengers! I was offered old clothes, leftover nests of thread, domino pieces, sequin waste. Of course I gathered it right up! I was new, everything was interesting and I wanted to try every technique imaginable.

Except, I didn't.



I continued to acquire strange items, but somehow never used them. I guess my comfort zone is cotton! None-the-less, I still have quite the collection of unconventional materials crowding my closet. Now I'm the scavenger.






So this cycle, Betty's unconventional fabric challenge has given me a chance to haul out old clothes and upholstery scraps and challenge myself to do what I one time aspired to. I figure it's a win-win proposition: I stretch beyond my norm AND I get to clean my closet. What could be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment