Sunday, November 22, 2015

Bumpy Surfaces

by Lin Hsin-Chen
Life is three dimensional. I love the unlimited changes that fiber artists create in three-dimensional space, such as straw plaiting, bamboo weaving, and rope braiding. There are countless traditional craftsmen in Taiwan who turn ordinary materials into household items or artworks. Below is a picture of my life necessities.


The sun-hat is carefully woven out of wood fibers. The birds and the basket are bamboo woven, and the card case is straw woven. They are my treasured items. I hope someday I can make a cloth woven work. Perhaps it’s a distant dream.

During my visit in Beijing in October, I saw the Miao people’s exquisite craft. I was thrilled and over the moon! They create bumpy surfaces with clothing materials. The texture is pretty much the same as straw weaving. Amazing! I’d like to share a few pictures with you. The works look like worn clothing, but the vintage colors are alluring. They strengthen the beauty of needlework.





 




Three- dimensional fiber work is what I always wanted to try but never had the chance. Thank you Diane, for the challenge!

1 comment: