Monday, April 27, 2015

Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year
20"w x 48"L
In my neighbourhood Chinese New Year is a noisy, colourful affair with Lion dancing and feasting. 2015 is the Year of the Goat and as my Chinese animal year is also the goat I wanted to celebrate this in my quilt.

I enjoyed hand embroidering the details on the goat's head and creating the look of an old wall in the background. In Chinese culture colours symbolise various things and red is the colour of good fortune, joy and happiness.

Materials; cotton, batting, thread, dye, fusible, embroidery floss, textile ink
Techniques; hand dyed, stencilled, hand painted, hand embroidered, machine pieced, machine appliqued, machine quilted
Detail

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia, I enjoyed designing and all the techniques that went into the piece, including the hand stitching.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful composition and colors, Sue! I'm glad you included a close up of the goat, I love the hand embroidery. Well done, I hope the year of the goat brings you joy, happiness and good fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hand embroidery, the goat is beautiful. Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I love your goat and your weathered wall. The hand-stitching is beautiful and effective! I'm a goat, too. Perhaps one will turn up in a cycle piece. Great to see you in Portland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely piece for Chinese New Year, Sue! The work is full of joy and celebration. I hope you have a wonderful Year of the Goat, and happy and safe journey! I’m so envious :)

    ReplyDelete