Monday, April 27, 2015

I'm not from here

New challenges are always filled with excitement.  For our third rotation of eighteen month challenges, I have chosen 'exotic' as my personal theme.

 A couple of weeks ago it dawned on me that I had been an "exotic" growing up.  Military families move many, many times and for Air Force families, usually to places in the 'middle of no where'.  Landing fields, naturally, need space and the military needs security.  Consequently my brothers and I turned up in schools (4 by the time I was 8) in small towns.  Towns where most everyone knew each other or were directly related.  We were always the outsiders.

"I'm Not From Here" depicts the eight states and two foreign countries that our family made our home. California (4 times), Texas (3 times), Colorado, Missouri, Maryland (2 times), New York, Florida and Connecticut (2 times).  Japan and, later as an adult, Australia.

I'm Not From Here
48"x45"
In keeping with Martha's Challenge to make a piece using stitching or a stitch type that we had never done before, I floundered.  I'm old.  And I dabble.  Ergo there's not much I haven't done (My Granny taught me to knit, crochet, embroider,  sew and tat.  Yes. Tat).  I decided to go with something that I have rarely done and not for a very long time.  Free-motion script.  The stitched sentences and phrases sketch our family's journey.


5 comments:

  1. Certainly get the prize for most places lived Diane! Love the writing on the quilt and bright colours, not lost in translation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! This piece fits nicely with your 'Color of Place' series, but this one adds a new twist with your own handwriting. I love that it serves as artwork as well as a personal journal. I'd love to see it up close and read all the notes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This piece has so much energy DianeI I too, love the personal journal aspect of this piece. The variegated thread adds a wonderful pop to the background. Did you start and stop stitching every word or continuously quilt them and cut joining threads later? It looks like a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finally sitting down and taking a closer look at all of the pieces for this challenge. This is great, DIane. I love the traveling log cabins and the oranges and greens you chose. I agree with Kate, I'd love to read the notes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s amazing that your family have stayed in so many places, Diane. I can relate, because your story remind me of my childhood. When I was little, my family moved 7 times in 12 years. I love the script in your work. It‘s classic!

    ReplyDelete