Monday, October 5, 2015

Traditional Techniques


The UK is a country full of traditional techniques in quilting. Here are some that come to mind.

1. English paper piecing, where the fabric is stabilised with paper templates - the most obvious pattern is hexagons. A hand-stitching technique.

  




2. Wholecloth quilts have the quilting design traced or printed on plain fabric, and then it is stitched by hand of by machine.  The designs are usually very intricate.





3. Strippy quilts. They are simply made with strips of material, often also intricately quilted afterwards.  Traditional ones may come from either Wales or the North Country.



  

I don’t think I can bring myself to work with any of the first two techniques.  But the third really appeals to me, so I will go with strips.  Not likely to look like the traditional strippy quilts, though!

1 comment: