As I said before, everything I found in my cupboards is desirable - it's just that I haven't got round to use it! So I call this my "unused desirables" piece.
I have been collecting commercial batiks for years. I find them pretty and at times irresistible - so I buy them occasionally, with the idea that I will one day find a use for them.
I decided to use them to make a map. When I teach classes on map-making, I find my students often bring commercial fabrics to work with. So I have often thought I should make a map using commercial fabrics myself, as a class sample. This was my opportunity. (I can always show a photograph, if the quilt is away travelling).
It's an English village among fields, with a river at the bottom. I added one or two other old fabrics. I used my usual freehand piecing technique for most of the quilt.
It was important to find a contrasting fabric for the roads. The dark fabric I originally planned on did not show up well. So I eventually bought a new, very light, batik fabric, at the Festival of Quilts - it has a much more interesting effect.
I also fused-appliqué a bridge crossing the river.
The striped fabric comes from a small stash of fabrics I bought in my first trip to the USA in 1993, intending to use them to make doll's clothes (and I did - in the times when I was a toymaker). I have recently used some of them for my tribute to Yvonne Porcella quilt, and have rediscovered the pleasure of using stripes and checks, and black and white.
However I am not sure I will use the batiks again, certainly not all together - maybe as details, among other fabrics. I find the result too busy - I am so used to working with hand-dyed, almost solid fabrics. So I called my map Busy Bees Village.
Size 30" high by 25" wide.