Saturday, June 27, 2015

Night Swimming



Night Swimming

I love the movie “Finding Nemo”. One of my favorite scenes is when two fish, Marlin and Dory, are swimming through a smack of jellyfish and risk getting stung. An encounter with a jellyfish could mean death and both fish are naturally frightened. Dory keeps them focused and helps to overcome their fear by saying “Just keep swimming; swimming, swimming, swimming!”

Just keep swimming. How simple! When faced with difficult circumstances, focus on the one thing you know how to do and just keep doing it. Eventually you’ll emerge on the other side. Brilliant! 

In addition to the underlying wisdom of the scene, the jellyfish are beautiful. I love their luminescence, they almost glow in the dark. When Hsin-Chen posted the challenge (neon), I thought of my theme (water) and immediately decided to depict jellyfish.

“Night Swimming” is my tribute to Dory the fish. The background is painted on a piece of white muslin. I embellished the jellyfish with yarn, bobbin work and dimensional paint. It was Kate’s hummingbird piece that inspired me to experiment with yarn and embroidery floss. Thank you Kate!


I “distressed” the yarn by unraveling, pulling and fraying. I laid the center yarns randomly, adding pieces when I thought I needed more color. The outer tentacles were more planned but they’re not fully stitched down so they can move and simulate the flow of the water.
This challenge was great fun, Thank you Hsin-Chen!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful jellyfish! Your choice of materials really captures their fluid translucence. Really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the mom of a 10 year old, I am very familiar with the Nemo reference LOL. Dory is so wise. Sometimes the only way to get through a hard time is to "Just keep swimming"! Leaving some of the tendrils loose was a great idea, to allow them to sway like they're under water. Beautiful use of color, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s vivid and beautiful, Lisa-Marie! I agree jellyfish are beautiful, but I have terrible experience with it. I remember when I learned snorkeling for the first time, I got stung by jellyfish. I had to stay in the hospital for 3 days… Maybe your work could help me to overcome my fear of jellyfish, I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Lisa-Marie. I agree that jellyfish interesting, a wonder and appealing....in the abstract, of course.

    ReplyDelete