Saturday, June 27, 2015

the Abyss

The Abyss

Had a great time with this one.
I used acid dyed silk habotai, and stenciled deep sea creatures on it with Shiva paintstik.
I tried to capture the transparent nature of these animals by letting the dark background show in the center.
Some battery operated rice lights were stitched underneath the silk, and I hand bead quilted the rest.
There's additional couched neon cording, and glow in the dark paint of course.


Here's a closeup of the big gulper, he's actually kind of made up- I used a couple of plastic toys as models.

this is what it would look like if you were really down there!



7 comments:

  1. How fun! Your creatures are amazingly realistic. I love the translucence, it definitely gives them dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so innovative - I love it! I would like this as a night light :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't wait to come home today to see everyone's interpretation of "neon". Wow, Betty! Worth the wait! I absolutely love the glow in the dark paint and was floored by the LED lights. The last detail photo is absolutely captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely gorgeous! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s glad to hear you like the challenge! This piece is so cool, Betty! I love it. It’s such a wonderful idea to include rice lights in the work. I wonder if the quilt will get hot when the lights on turned on?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Betty...wonderful! Such light :^) hearted fun!

    ReplyDelete